Thursday, February 19, 2009

How to save on Home Repairs

Have I ever mentioned how much I love my subscription to Real Simple Magazine?? If not, I do. :) In almost every issue I find SOMETHING that I cut out and save for later. Sometimes these articles get put in a pile and I forget about them for months and months...but I still save them! Well, I'm looking through that pile right now and found a few good suggestions that I wanted to share!!

In the January 2009 issue (see, I'm only a month behind!), They had a Moneywise segment on "how to save on home repairs". Here's what they had to say:

- Get free DIY advice. Go to www.youtube.com and type in "ask the builder" for how-to videos on simple procedures like replacing a faucet or a light fixture.
- Be Flexible. Ask a tradesman if he has a hole in his schedule, then inquire about a discount if you book during that time.
- Learn the lingo. Before calling a contractor, check out sites like www.moneypit.com and diynetwork.com. You'll be better informed - and less likely to get taken - if you can speak his language. (Jodi's Memo: If you haven't see the movie Money Pit, you should rent it before doing any major renovation...nothing can go as bad....)
-Don't succumb to "Your roof is falling" tactics. If your basement floods, say, a cash-hungry contractor might try to talk you into a drainage system that costs around $7,5000. But in the majority of situations, you can guard against indoor deluges just by cleaning and extending gutter downspouts and grading soil away from the foundation. (Jodi's Memo: This TOTALLY happened to one of my clients and they DID NOT go with the drainage system! And the house is still standing!)

The article also made some monthly checks you should do around the house. I will try to update these monthly :) Since it's already February...I'll also give you the advice for January as well!

January:
- Test your home for radon. A radioactive gas that causes lung cancer, radon can build up when windows and doors are sealed tight. So January, the coldest month, is an optimal time for an annual test, says Elias Rodriguez, an EPA spokesman. Visit epa.gov/radon (Jodi's Memo: I can suggest radon testing companies and someone to mitigate..I had this done on my own home!)
-Make sure your attic insulation is doing the trick. If snow melts off the roof soon after it falls, or if icicles form even when temperatures remain consistent, too much heat may be escaping from your home. If so, call a contractor.

February:
- Check your sump pump. do this now, before the first spring thaws or March, when melting snow and rain showers can cause basement flooding. To test, pour two gallons of water into the drain to raise the float and activate the motor. It should stop running once the water level drops below the activation level.
-See if your gas meter is iced over. On average, February is one of the snowiest months of the year. According to managemyhome.com, accumulated ice on the meter can cause it to malfunction and create a gas leak. If the meter is iced over, contact your gas utility. (Chipping off the ice yourself can damage the unit)

No comments: