Monday, January 4, 2010

The Basic Tools Every Homes Should Have

My dad taught me early on that before you make a major purchase, you must check Consumer Reports. I checked it before buying my Toyota 4 Runner almost 10 years ago...and the car is running strong with over 158k miles! I just recently used the online site to research flat screen tvs. Thanks to my research, I ended up with a 50in flat screen tv (vs the 32in I was planning on getting!).

A few months back (maybe it's been a year, I'm not sure), I got an ad for a new magazine - ShopSmart which is from the people at Consumer Reports. It's an ad-free magazine with great information and research on many items. Of course I purchased a subscription!! The latest magazine had an article on the basic tools every home should have. I thought that was worth passing on. Here's what they say:

1. Utility Knife - handy for slicing through boxes, carpet, and other tough stuff; in a pinch, it can scratch out old grout. Look for a retractable blade with spares.

2. Little Haacksaw - handy for getting into small places to make difficult cutting jobs easy. It can also cut through wood and metal, such as an extended bolt.

3. Tongue-and-groove Pliers - handy for gripping fasteners and hardware. Look for a multiposition type that also works as a wrench.

4. Needle-nose Pliers - handy for cutting through thin wire and gripping small objects. They're great for working in tight spaces.

5. Curved Claw Hammer - handy for driving and yanking nails. Look for a comfortable feeling in your hand. A common midweight hammer is 16 ounces.

6. Cordless Drill - handy for assembling and disassembling furniture, hanging shelves and pictures, installing curtain rods, and more.

7. Multibit Screwdriver - handy for tightening and loosening screws. Look for a set that includes bits for slotted and Phillips screws, the two most common types.

You can also buy a kit that has many of these items. Not tested, but shown in ShopSmart was the Apollo 39-piece tool kit, $29.99 @ www.target.com

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Love the Target pitch! ;)