Sunday, July 4, 2010

Stop the Dampness

I'm doing some catching up on magazines and such today. It's a bit overcast here in KC so I don't mind just hanging out inside with the girls. (that's when they aren't barking at the fireworks outside!)

My dad got me hooked on the advice of Consumer Reports at a young age. For the most part, if Consumer Reports thinks it's good, it's golden in my dad's book. (hey, that's the reason I ended up getting a 52in flat screen a few months ago! - though they don't have the newest 4Runner ranked high which makes me sad b/c I LOVE mine and will for sure be getting another when my 2000 with 164k+ miles dies). SO, a few years ago when I got an ad for a new magazine from Consumer Reports - ShopSmart ;) (and YES, they have the ;) in the title!) I HAD to subscribe! Similar to Consumer Reports, ShopSmart ;) does not have advertising and it is all based on their tests.

One of the articles I read today was testing dehumidifiers and almost gave some advice on stopping dampness. With all the rain we had in June here in KC, I thought this was some good information to pass along:

If the room has standing water, sweating walls, or a permanent musty smell, a dehumidifier alone won't fix the problem. Here are three ways to treat moisture at it's source:

Control Rainwater - Clean and maintain gutters and downspouts, and make sure leaders extend at least 3 feet away from the house. For good measure, grade your property away from the foundation so that water can't reach the house. More involved fixes include excavating, waterproofing exterior foundation walls. and installing exterior drains.

Secure The Basement - Patch foundation walls with hydraulic cement. Small gaps in concrete can be filled with silicone. Waterproof coating, applied when walls are dry, might also help. Install a sump pump to move water from interior drains outside. Check plumbing pipes for leaks and condensation. And insulate your hot-and cold-water pipes. Make sure clothes-dryer ducts are vented to the outside and aren't leaking.

Ventilate Properly - Run the bathroom exhaust fan or open a window when showering. Squeegee or wipe down shower walls afterward. In the kitchen, use a vent hood that exhausts to the outdoors when cooking.

No comments: