Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Poison Oak/Ivy


I don't care for yard work. My my LOVES yard work. I think I obviously missed that gene!

My mom is a teacher and has her summers off, so she typically comes up to Kansas City (from St. Louis) to visit at least one time and spends some quality time "digging in my dirt". It's GREAT!! She loves it and my yard always looks great! She planted some orange lily's a few years ago that comes back year after year so I have some color until she can come plant more flowers. Over the years, we have torn out a few bushes from the front of my yard (even though I don't care for yard work, I DO help!).

Well, I felt ambitious the other day and decided to do a little yard work on my own. (crazy, I know!). Friday I decided to do a little trimming on a tree and pulled some weeds in front of my house. I got scratched by the tree but thought NOTHING of it. Sunday I stopped at Home Depot and picked up some dirt and flowers. I planted these around my light pole. They do look great! (AND I made sure to buy perennials so they'll come back year after year!) I also decided to trim more of the tree in front of the house (that I had started on Friday) b/c it was just too tall.

Fast forward to Monday...and my "scratch" from Friday is not blistered...and POISON OAK!! Thankfully it has not spread but it is the oozing stage. It's not contagious anymore which is GREAT but I heard it can last TWO weeks!!

I think I'll save the yard work for my mom...and hire someone to get ride of the trees that obviously have poison oak/ivy somewhere growing in them! My mom doesn't want to be stuck with it either!!

No comments: