Thursday, September 30, 2010

The good, the bad...the internet

I participate in many forms of social media (twitter, facebook, blogging, etc) and I try to be very careful about what I say online. There are many things I'd LOVE to say, but I know it's just not appropriate for EVERYone to see! Some times I see what other people post online and I just wish they'd think before they type. I'm kind of glad that we didn't have this much technology when I was growing up. Who knows what we would have written and of course regretted! I usually just see something stupid and ignore it, but today I saw something that I HAD to comment on.

A guy I graduated high school with had a VERY innappropriate, offense and just plain ignorant post today. Thankfully I was on the phone with a friend when I saw it so I had someone to rant to. (otherwise I would have just called until someone answered!). Not only was his post offense, but it wasn't in correct english making him looking even more ignorant. I won't post exactly what he said, but it was to the affect that he's not against gays, but they seem to be popping up everywhere and they should have their own state. SERIOUSLY!! I almost couldn't believe it. I KNEW I was going to defriend him, but I also felt like I had to comment. I let him know that I was appalled by what he wrote and couldn't beleive he posted it online. Then hit "remove from friends." He did response, but I had to get another friend to check it since I can no longer see his wall postings. He commented that he "wasn't gay bashing just that the population is growing." Yes, a lot of populations are growing! My friend also made a comment on how ignorant his status was. He's obviously an unhappy person (he always has negative status updates) and I am happy to not look at his updates anymore. I'm also happy and proud that my friend Shana and I both stood up to let him know how ignorant his post was. I hope others stand up as well!

Think before you type!

No comments: